Sunday 1 May 2011

My Father's Asparagus-Prosciutto-Pecorino Romano Sandwich

The raw ingredients.  Try the kamut-sourdough baguette from True Loaf in Ottawa.
What ever bread you choose, it should be flavourful itself, crusty and chewy.

Those first few, precious days of warmth that collect in early April have come and gone.  We have sipped back into days that only hint at the spring and summer to come.  To be honest, I’m happy with these almost cold nights and too cool days; I sometimes think that we rush with too much haste from the winter’s ending to summer’s beginning and that transition is lost.   There is with the long spring a greater sense of anticipation of the new season, of the market crops with pale white-green shoots touching just the skin of the earth.

With the first warm days of early April, I imagined local asparagus, thick stocks, dripping with syrup when cut away from the mother plant.  Its imagination only, the asparagus is still wrapped against remnants of winter, huddling, waiting for its season.

But still I can imagine and turn from old winter recipes to the beginnings of the local farm gate.

My father used to get up way before I did and began his day only with a coffee before he began his day of work. He would pick up the deliveries that he would have to make that morning and come home to sort them out and sit for a moment’s breakfast.  I think, coffee and toast, and then on the road.  I don’t ever remember his coming home for lunch or if he ever ate lunch, what he was eating.  Sunday was day on which we would most often sit to share a meal other than dinner.  Sunday morning I was given change to buy crusty hard bread at the local bakery a few blocks away – and later further away bakery that meant a bike ride to a shop on Cannon Street half way to my grandparents.  A long way for a little kid to go. 

We would have the bread with oil and cheese and my parents would have fresh vegetables like asparagus, which as a child I couldn’t image eating.  I don’t know if he ever ate a sandwich like this – I know he never had this particular one because he didn’t like garlic and wouldn’t have had the garlic bread and I don’t think that we could afford prosciutto in those days.  But this is my take on a sandwich that somehow I think of as my father’s sandwich.  Its simple enough that it doesn’t require a great deal of pre-planning and work; make the basic butter and hold it in the frig – if you can – to use for a snack or to begin a meal.  Its one of my favourite spring sandwiches, the first of the season to use a local crop.  The saltiness of the prosciutto and cheese is sharp against the sweetness of the asparagus and give depth of flavour to the sandwich.

You know what it is, it’s the kind of meal that’s perfect for carrying outside to sit on whatever’s out there, a front or back stoop, a veranda, patio or balcony; its perfect for carrying outside with a glass of wine and to sit, eat and stare at the world going along, calling out with a wave kinda sandwich, enjoy the day kinda sandwich.   That’s what this kinda sandwich this is.



The sandwich draped with spring asparagus, salty with shaved pecorino and prosciutto
Its perfect for taking out of doors; enjoy as the day goes along
My Father's Asparagus-Prosciutto-Pecorino Romano Sandwich

for the only part you have to make ahead
for the garlic butter:
¼ lb. butter at room temperature                          ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup roasted garlic                                               ¼ cup grated romano cheese
Whisk all the ingredients together.

for the sandwich:
5-7 spears of asparagus per sandwich, peeled, blanch, chilled
balsamic vinegar to drizzle on the bread
2-3 slices of prosciutto per sandwich – I prefer the Italian, or if I can get it the artisan from Niagara
shave pecorino

Drizzle the bread with balsamic vinegar; brush the bread with the garlic butter and place in hot oven or under broiler to melt and brown.  Lay the prosciutto on the bread, the asparagus and shave pecorino.
Enjoy on a stoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment